Activists, NGOs root for stronger laws
As voices centred on trafficking crimes are slowly becoming louder and questions marks over the lack of regulation of placement agencies being raised increasingly, the pressure on the Delhi government to come up with a regulatory law has increased. According to experts, however, Delhi government’s draft Delhi Private Placement Agencies (Regulation) Bill, 2012 leaves a lot to be desired. “The draft Bill provides for no welfare mechanism for domestic helps nor does it stipulate minimum wages. It also does not talk of a monitoring mechanism in procurement areas. These are key areas which are central to the problem of trafficking and also to the betterment of the domestic helps,” said Rishi Kant, member, Shakti Vahini, an NGO working against child trafficking.
The draft Delhi Private Placement Agencies (Regulation) Bill, 2012, would be placed before the assembly in February 2013.
“The draft Bill has not clearly spelt out the rights of the domestic helps. It also does not seek to set up a mechanism whereby domestic workers can lodge complaint of sexual harassment/sexual assault by placement agents,” Kant added. Woman and child department of Delhi government is now planning to bring a new legislation to rein in trafficking of minors, especially girls, and women. “We are working on a separate law,” said Delhi social welfare minister Kiran Walia.
- Traffickers pushing girls as house helps (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Traffickers pushing girls as house helps (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- She Still Hopes to Meet Her Daughter (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Two minor girls rescued from Old Delhi station (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- 2 trafficked minor girls rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Abject poverty at root of trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Concern over health of human trafficking victims (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Domestic Maid Business More Lucrative Than Prostitution (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Concern over health of human trafficking victims (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Police crack down on human traffickers (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)