TIMES OF INDIA
GURGAON: On the occasion of Children’s Day, the district administration announced the setting up of the first children’s home in the city. At present, rescued children who require rehabilitation and protection are either taken to Rohtak or Karnal. The decision was taken during a meeting of administrative officers and members of Childline (1098), organized as part of the “Childline Se Dosti” campaign aiming to make a million “dosts” (friends) and raise awareness about child rights.
Deputy commissioner P C Meena said, “We are looking for a plot or a building for this purpose. Very soon there will be a children’s home in the city.” The new shelter home will accommodate children, especially girls who need medical care, protection from abuse and counselling assistance. Nishi Kant, executive director, Shakti Vahini, an NGO, which runs Childline, said, “This step was long awaited and will provide the much-needed respite to children.”
“The DC has asked us to get in touch with the state’s Department of Women and Child Development. Our organization will work in close coordination with the government on this project,” Kant said. On Monday, a group of children appealed to the district administration for institutionalizing the Child Welfare Committee in Gurgaon. “There is need to set up an office for the office-bearers who can hear cases daiy, said an NGO member.
- Campaign helps kids make ‘dosts’ (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NE trafficking victim rescued from Haryana (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- 9 girls rescued, kingpin held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Notorious Trafficker Arrested – 9 Victims Rescued. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Three Day Training Programme of West Delhi Anti Human Trafficking Unit Held in Collaboration With Ahtu Delhi Police , Crime Branch and Shakti Vahini (activistindia.wordpress.com)
- Witness Examination Through Video Confrencing (lawreports.wordpress.com)
- Sex racket busted in Gurgaon, two held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Child rights body criticizes police inaction (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Cycling miles to spread smiles (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
TIMES OF INDIA
NEW DELHI: The crime branch of Delhi Police, along with Rohtak police, arrested two persons who allegedly brought three girls to the capital and sold them to touts in Haryana. They accused are part of a gang involved in sex tourism.
The arrests come after the anti-human trafficking units of Haryana and Delhi rescued a 16-year-old girl who was brought to Rohini after being promised a job as a domestic help and later forced into prostitution. Police said the girl, who hails from Karimpur in North 24 Parganas, was brought to a flat in outer Delhi where she was raped by several men.
“The girl was taken to Mussorie by a customer who paid the pimps Rs 8000 of which she did not receive a penny. After she was brought back to Rohini she was taken to Rohtak in Haryana by two pimps – a man named Biloo and a woman named Babli – where they were nabbed by a team of the Rohtak police, led by sub-inspector Jai Bhagwan,” said a senior officer.
The officer said that this incident only lent credence to the theory that girls from eastern India are being sold in Haryana. “There have been some instances of the police coming across a murdered woman who does not resemble a Haryanvi. The fact that the Assam police have submitted a list of 400 missing girls to the Delhi crime branch shows that several girls who are lured by placement agencies in Delhi later disappear,” said Rishi Kant, coordinator for NGO Shakti Vahini.
In another instance, a 16 year-old Adivasi girl from West Bengal’s Jalpaiguri district was rescued by Shakti Vahini and the Kashmere Gate metro police from Rajiv Chowk Metro station at around 9:30pm.The girl said two persons had brought her to Delhi a month ago on the pretext of offering her a job. When asked why she had agreed to accompany strangers to Delhi she said that she lived with her step-mother and a father who was an alcoholic and used to torture her.
The girl was clueless about the city and could not tell the police where she had worked or where she lived after reaching Delhi. A DD entry was done in the Kashmere Gate metro Police Station. After a medical examination the girl was given shelter in the Children Home Nirmal Chaya Complex. The girl will be produced before the Child Welfare Committee on Monday.
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Govt passes order to rein in errant agencies (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- A Challenge to Doing Gender Justice by Violence (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Body Shop/ Shakti Vahini to fight human trafficking in India (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Traffickers in police net, 9 minors rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)