DIVYA SETHI – HINDUSTAN TIMES / GURGAON
So far, the victims of child rights abuse, who are rescued from across Haryana, are sent toRohtak and Karnal shelters. According to the department of women and children welfare of the state government, they are considering a proposal sent by the Gurgaon administration and the NGO, Shakti Vahini, seeking to set up a shelter here.
“We are looking into the matter. So many children are sent to far off places in the absence a shelter in Gurgaon,” said Dheera Khandelwal, principal secretary, Women and Child Development Department. The proposal came after the district administration on November 14, last year, announced the setting up of a facility for such children in Gurgaon. The proposed shelter is expected to accommodate children, especially girls who need medical care, protection from abuse, and counselling.
“This move was long-awaited. It would certainly provide the much-needed respite to the children,” said Ravi Kant, a member of Shakti Vahini.
He said that due to lack of space at Karnal and Rohtak shelters, sometimes children are sent back and it becomes difficult for the district administration to find a suitable accommodation for them. Last year, a total of 282 victims of child rights abuse were rescued from Gurgaon. Hundreds of children loose their childhood and are deprived of their rights to get elementary education due to poverty. Some times they also fall prey to trafficking rackets.
- Soon, a roof for homeless kids (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Campaign to make Gurgaon Child friendly (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Campaign helps kids make ‘dosts’ (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Year End Review for major achievements, policies and schemes of the Ministry of Women and Child Development – 2011 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Nine months on, boy yet to get compensation (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Abused minor now accused of sodomy (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Shakti Vahini / Ahwahaan Foundation – Street Play Initiative on Rights of the Girld Child at the Vatsalya Mela Organised by the Ministry of the Women and Child Government of India (activistindia.wordpress.com)
- Bride Trafficking- Girls Brought From Mp , Bengal Rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Bride trafficking: 2 minors rescued, three held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Kids continue to toil away their childhood (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)