PRERNA SODHI IN TIMES OF INDIA
NEW DELHI: Disappointed with the pace of the probe into alleged cases of sexual abuse at Arya Anathalaya, affected families, city residents and NGOs protested at Jantar Mantar and demanded a CBI inquiry on Monday.
Members of about two dozen NGOs, including Udayan Care, Haq: Centre for Child Rights, Aangan, Shakti Vahini, among others, demanded justice for the 11-year-old girl who died last December as well as for the other children.
Dissatisfied with the response of the authorities, former chairperson of Child Welfare Committee, Dr Bharti Sharma, said: “The government has taken no action till now. A committee has been formed but what is it doing? We want a CBI probe into the case”.
Other than a CBI probe, the protestors also demanded immediate dissolution of the orphanage management , dismissal of the accused staff, protection for the victims and setting up of an alternative management committee. The protesters plan to submit a memorandum of their demands to the LG and the ministry of home affairs.
Reacting to the protest, president of the orphanage’s managing committee Viresh Pratap Chaudhry said the dharna was uncalled for. In a press statement, Chaudhary said, “When a PIL is pending on the subject, an administrator has been appointed by the lieutenant governor to oversee the functioning and management of two institutions in Pataudi House (Daryaganj), and the work of administrator is being monitored by Delhi High Court, a dharna to demand further action and even a CBI inquiry is a gross abuse of the process of honourable high court.”
Last week, HC had asked the government if media pressure led to the setting up of the probe panel.
- Notices served over alleged sexual abuse at orphanage (thehindu.com)
- HIV kids’ abuse: NGO home raided (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Children Rescued From Sex Abuse in a Joint Raid by Shakti Vahini and National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NGO’s role in human trafficking being probed (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NGO’s role in human trafficking being probed (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Childhood’s end in harsh city (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Soon, city to have shelter for victims of child abuse (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)