They reportedly left her food and water that lasted only two days. Police said the girl had not eaten anything for the past four days and has been screaming for help from the flat’s balcony. When the neighbours heard her on Thursday afternoon, they contacted Shakti Vahini, a voluntary group that works on human trafficking issues. The rescue team had to use a fire engine to reach the second floor flat where the girl was confined.
“They managed to break the lock of the main door but she was in the other room, which the police couldn’t open. They then called the fire brigade, and with the help of their ladder, the girl was rescued,” said RC Yadav, president of the resident welfare association of Hahnemann Apartment, who reported the case to the NGO. Police said that they could not contact the couple.
“They left their phone with a relative. When we called on the number, we were told the couple was in Bangkok. We are waiting for their return. The girl will give her statement to the Child Welfare Committee on Friday and accordingly action will be taken,” AK Ojha, DCP (southwest) said. After the rescue, the girl was rushed to DDU hospital in West Delhi.
“She was on the verge of starvation. She looked totally dehydrated. The doctors have put her on a liquid diet and she is undergoing treatment,” said Neera Mullick, chairperson of West Delhi’s Child Welfare Committee.
During counselling, the girl told the NGO that she was working at the couple’s home for a year. She belongs to Jharkhand and was employed through a placement agency. She said the doctor couple has installed CCTV cameras inside the house and after returning from work they used to check her movement in the footage. If found something wrong, they would beat her up.
Rescuers said there are visible injury marks all over the girl’s body. “The girl has told us the couple was not paying her any salary and didn’t allow her to leave the house. There are chances that the girl was sold out to placement agency,” Nishi Kant, executive director of Shakti Vahini, said. Initial investigation revealed that doctor couple is running a nursing home in Dwarka.
SOURCE: HINDUSTAN TIMES
- Surgeon Accused of Employing Minor (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Surgeon Accused of Employing Minor (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- 1500 Assam kids missing in a year (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Children Rescued From Sex Abuse in a Joint Raid by Shakti Vahini and National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NGO’s role in human trafficking being probed (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NGO’s role in human trafficking being probed (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Raids on trains to curb trafficking to check trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Child rights activists demand CBI probe (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)