NEW DELHI: The rescue of the 13year-old girl working as a domestic help, has once again highlighted the increasing incidents of trafficking of minor girls to be employed as domestic helps. In this case too, the victim was brought to Delhi from Gumla district in Jharkhand by her uncle’s friend.
“I was brought to Delhi by one Mahadev, who knew my uncle Narayan Sahu. Mahadev handed me over to one Mukesh, owner of a placement agency in Punjabi Bagh. Mukesh asked me to work at a flat in Dwarka,” the victim said in her statement. Police said the trafficking of minor girls had increased since there was a huge demand for domestic helps in Delhi and the NCR. Organised gangs bring minors from Jharkhand and West Bengal and later sell them to placement agencies in Delhi, the police said. There are 2,300 placement agencies in Delhi out of which 325 are registered under the Commercial Establishment Act.
This registration is not mandatory, so not many get themselves registered. “A number of these placement agencies are in Shakurpur in northwest Delhi,” a senior police officer said. Officials of Delhi government’s labour department said that more than 1,000 juveniles — both boys and girls — are rescued from different areas working in different occupations by the government’s task force every year. And the number is only increasing.
“There is an increase in the number every year because there is greater awareness among people that kids should not work and such people inform the police and other departments if they come across such a case. Also, our list now incudes more occupations, in which juveniles are prohibited, and hence our catchment area has increased,” a senior labour department official said.
The official said that each district in Delhi had a task force.
“Kids who are rescued are rehabilitated and repatriated to the home district,” the officer said.“but the unfortunate part is that parents send their kids to work due to their poor financial condition. There have been innumerable examples where parents have sent them back to work again,” the official added.
- Doctor couple lock 13-yr-old help in house, fly to Bangkok (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Minor Help Locked Up As Couple Holidays (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Raids on trains to curb trafficking to check trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Girls fall in placement agency traps (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Surgeon Accused of Employing Minor (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Raids on trains to curb trafficking to check trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NGO shield for trafficker (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Maid locked in hellhole flat with salt, atta (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Two arrested for trafficking, four minors rescued (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)