NEW DELHI: A team from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights(NCPCR) which had toured Bengal in view of the rising number of missing children in the state is busy preparing the final report which is expected to be tabled next week. The move comes in the midst of data recently published by NCRB stating that the state ranks poorly when it comes to tackle trafficking. The three member delegation consisting of – Vinod Kumar Tikoo, Shaista Khan, senior consultant, NCPCR and Debayani Bose, media consultant NCPCR reached Kolkata last week to have a dialogue with the West Bengal administration on Child Protection issues. The NGO Shakti Vahini helped the team in Kolkata with the purpose of linking the source and destination of the human trafficking areas.
A NCPCR official said that the The Anti Human Trafficking Units of West Bengal should play the pro active role in fighting this social evil. “Meetings were organized with the NGOs working there and also with the district administration of the concerned districts. The delegation will also had a dialogue with the concerned stakeholders of child protection like medical department, education department and police,” said the official.
The delegation visited the affected districts like South 24 Parganas, Malda and Murshidabad which are most prone to child trafficking. They also met V V Thambi, DGP, CID (West Bengal) and discuss about the status of child trafficking in West Bengal. The meeting focused on the NGO-AHTU partnership of source and destination. As a part of this visit, the team also attended a programme organized by Salaap NGO in which documents related to child protection were released and also discussion on Reintegration of trafficked children took place. According to Rishi Kant of Shakti Vahini the visit is very important considering the state as most trafficked prone area and a strategy needs to be developed to combat the menace.
- Concern over health of human trafficking victims (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Concerted efforts will weed out trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Concern over health of human trafficking victims (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Concerted efforts will weed out trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Concern over health of human trafficking victims (thehindu.com)
- 2 trafficked minor girls rescued (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Raids on trains from east and northeast to curb Girl Trafficking (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Eight girls rescued from placement cells (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Two minor girls rescued from Old Delhi station (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Raids on trains from east and northeast to curb Girl Trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)