Delhi Police arrested four persons on charges of trafficking a 14-year-old girl from West Bengal to Delhi and forcing her into prostitution. Police have suspended seven personnel — a sub-inspector, a head constable and five constables — posted at Kamla Market police station for “dereliction of duty”.
According to police, the victim alleged in her complaint that after being brought to Delhi, she was locked up in a room in an unidentified place for five days.
She was then moved to a house in Dilshad Garden, where a couple, among the four accused, lived.
She was confined there for over 20 days and forced into prostitution. In her complaint, she claimed she was assaulted with knives when she refused to do the couple’s bidding.
According to police sources, she was then transferred to a brothel on GB Road on November 4, from where she was removed after a police raid in the area.
The brothel operator has also been arrested.
The girl was then moved to a house in Wazirabad, where she lived with the fourth accused, till she was rescued on November 20. At Wazirabad, the victim said she was again forced into prostitution.
Sources said police had conducted a raid on two brothels on November 15 after receiving information about the missing girl.
They were also accompanied by the NGO Shakti Vahini, the Bengal police and the girl’s parents.
An investigation is on to trace others involved in trafficking the girl.
A case has been registered against the four accused at Kamla Market police station under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code, the Protection Of Children From Sexual Offences Act, Juvenile Justice Act and the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act.
The girl has been produced before the Child Welfare Committee, which has sent her to a shelter for children.
- New hope for human trafficking victims as Delhi High Court rides to the rescue (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Born in Bengal, ‘sold’ in Delhi (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Born in Bengal, ‘sold’ in Delhi (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- FIR in Delhi against Uttarakhand officer for rape (vancouverdesi.com)
- J’khand help’s death: Police fail to locate couple who hired her (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- Rape cases hushed up in India: US lawmakers told (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- J’khand help’s death: Police fail to locate couple who hired her (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Pub owners in Delhi held for serving liquor after midnight (thehindu.com)
- Battered housemaids: Growing trend, violated rights (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)