TUHIN DUTTA / INDIAN EXPRESS
The Gurgaon district administration has decided to provide a compensation of Rs 20,000 to an eight-year-old boy who was rescued in January after being subjected to torture by his employees. The boy, Anil, was rescued by Shakti Vahini, an organisation working for human rights, which claimed the boy worked at the Gurgaon house as bonded labour and was subjected to continuous physical and mental torture.
The district administration said it would take a final decision on Monday. Deputy Commissioner P C Meena told Newsline, “We have decided to provide monetary compensation of Rs 20,000 to the child. I have passed the order, and the amount will be recovered from his employers.”
Shakti Vahini officials, however, maintained that the administration needs to issue a release certificate under the Bonded Labour Act. Incidentally, the release certificate entitles victims to a rehabilitation package amounting to Rs 20,000. “The provision of a compensation amount of Rs 20,000 is there if it is proved that the child was kept as a bonded labourer,” said Rishi, a Shakti Vahini member.
The child, who was rescued with help from DLF Phase-I police, had scars all over his body and a fresh wound on his face. During counselling, he said he underwent continuous physical and mental torture and was forced to do all household work every day. He also said that he was not given proper food and enough warm clothes.
Anil was produced before the Child Welfare Committee, Gurgaon, after a medical examination, and custody was handed over to his mother. The case is being monitored by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights. An FIR has been lodged.
- DC gives boost to residents campaign against child labour (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Child protection committee to be set up soon (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Workshop on Child Protection Held at Gurgaon in Collaboration With Nipccd and Childline (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Cycle to Liberate Childhood (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Minor alleges torture by cops (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NHRC team to look into plight of bonded labourers in U.P. brick kiln (hindu.com)
- Teen abused in their custody? NCPCR to ask Gurgaon police (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Missing and trafficked – Social activists blame political unrest, lack of jobs (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)